Monday 13 December 2010

Framebuilding course day 1

First day here at Downland Cycles in Canterbury. Martyn the builder and Brian the owner run this course for aspiring framebuilders or those who wish to get it out of their system.
Down to business straightaway after some safety briefings -
This is my frame jig where all the tubes and lugs will be fitted together.
And this is my bit of the mighty workbench. I'm jealous which is sad really.

These are the tubes for my bike - some preshaped like the chain stays and seat stays, others ready to be delicately and ever so carefully filed, mitred and cut with dirty great fine files and hacksaws.
This is my test piece for joining a piece of gash tube to a lug. Using an oxy-axetylene torch, heating the metal up and adding brass filler to glue the pieces together. Next I have to saw the join in half to see if it worked! It did. Sort of.

This is the first bit of metal hacking... Filing (mitreing) the seat tube so it fits neatly against the bottom bracket. Ready for brazing tomorrow morning!
Photo is blurry so you can't see how uneven it is.

End of day 1. Time to sample the fleshpots of Canterbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment